Bach Wen Farm & Cottages
Bach Wen lies on the North Wales Heritage Coast and was originally built as a working farm to meet the needs of the St Beuno Monastery in 630AD, the present buildings cover the remains of the original buildings. When run by the monks, the farm occupied some 500 acres of prime pastureland along the coast. The bakery, granary, pig sties and cattle sheds were in daily use. The millhouse stream still flows through the glade. Some interesting features remain such as the bell tower, the ornamental carvings and a bronze plate of the Last Supper on The Chapel Cottage.
The site today is built on the remains of the monastery farm and converted into 9 individual holiday cottages. They maintain the tradition and charm of the original buildings whilst including contemporary interiors and modern amenities.
There is access to our own private beach. It is mostly rock and shingle but has sandy patches when the tide recedes and is safe for bathing and fishing. We allow dog owners to run their pets on the field between the cottages and the beach so long as they are supervised.
A private lane leads from the cottages down to the beach. On the left you will see the watermill which has now been converted to the Mill and Hayloft cottages. On the right you will see the slopes of Snowdonia National Park and the residents bar.
The site is renowned for its sunsets, which are a breathtaking spectacle in the early evening and can be enjoyed on the front paddock or by the sea.
What We Provide
- All cottages are non-smoking
- All cottages have central heating which will be on for a limited time each day. If guests require the heating to be on constantly there will be an additional charge on top of the weekly price (speak to Helen and Johnny).
- All cottages include a wood burning stove (except The Beuno).
- We provide fresh linen including bedding, bath towels, tea towels and bathroom mats. We use eco friendly cleaning and laundry products.
- Cots and high chairs are available on request and free of charge.
- Residents bar and lounge/multipurpose function room, ideal for family gatherings and celebrations open seasonally and when pre booked.
- Wireless Internet access available in the bar.
- There is a DVD library on site housed in an old telephone box.
- Access to beach, glade, picnic areas, barbecues, childrens play area with climbing frames and swings. It is a particularly safe site for children as it is 1/4 mile from the main road.
- We welcome dogs (up to 2 per cottage) free of charge. Additional dogs allowed on prior arrangement only. Dogs should not be left in an unoccupied property and are not allowed in bedrooms. Smoking is not allowed in any cottage.
- The paddocks are ideal for ball games and to exercise pets. The beach can be accessed via the paddock or the glade.
- There are supermarkets in Caernarfon & Bangor (Tesco & Morrisons) and Pwllheli (Asda & Co-op). There is a late shop and petrol station in the village that is at the top of our lane and within walking distance.