At Bach Wen, we are aiming to become a carbon neutral site, and we encourage guests to minimise their environmental impact through the following measures:
* Use the separate bins provided for different types of waste, including food waste. Our recycling bins accept plastic, cardboard, glass, cans – any item that displays the recycling symbol can be put in the large bin on site marked Recycling. There is a food waste caddy in each house, the only items that cannot go into the caddy is raw meat and bones and there is a large Food Waste bin alongside the Recycling bin as well as a General Waste for landfill.
* Use the environmentally friendly washing and cleaning products provided.
* Support local food producers and restaurants – buy local. We recommend Henbant, a local organic farm; and there are roadside stalls selling wyau/eggs, tatws/potatoes, and other stuff.
* We are using LED bulbs, and ask that you switch off lights and other appliances when not in use.
In running Bach Wen holiday cottages:
* We are leaving more areas of the site unmown – this encourages more biodiversity: the edges of lawns are left to grow deliberately, providing habitats for insects, moths and butterflies, and we are not cutting the paddock but instead letting wildflowers flourish there.
* We do not use pesticides or pest control poison anywhere on site.
* We have installed solar photovoltaic panels on the barn and on Golan to support your energy use coming from renewable sources.
* We have planted 200 trees so far on site and are making two new hedgerows.
* We have begun growing veg and plan on installing both a pond and an orchard very soon.
* We have reinstated Nant Bach Wen (the stream that runs through the glade to the beach).
* We will soon be installing electric car charging points in two locations on site.
* We supply environmentally friendly washing/cleaning materials for our guests; and use eco cleaning products in our own cleaning routine; and for washing the bed linen too.